Money Saving Tips for New Parents
As a parent, you want to provide your child with the best of everything. But that can be hard on the budget! I get it: You’re tired and busy, and you don’t really have time to do much other than take care of your little ones. But if you want to save money when you have kids, these tips will help.
Be Honest About Your Finances
You and your partner need to sit down and have a conversation about your finances. Be honest with each other about what you can afford, what you spend, your financial goals and priorities, as well as your current financial situation.
If one of the two of you has more debt than the other or makes more money than the other, that doesn’t mean that person should be responsible for everything—you both have a say in how much debt is taken on or how much money is spent on baby-related expenses.
Make a Baby Budget
You’ll need to determine how much money you can afford to spend on your new baby. First and foremost, write down all of the expenses that you have already incurred for the birth of your child. These might include hospital costs, doctor’s fees, items purchased at Babies R Us (or Target or Walmart), and any other related items that you have already spent money on.
Next, make a list of expected expenses for the coming weeks or months as well as some possible unexpected expenses that may come up during this time period. The latter could include additional tests or treatment from doctors not covered by insurance such as physical therapy sessions if there are developmental delays; prescriptions for medications; additional appointments with specialists like neurologists or speech therapists; toys that aren’t included in your “starter kit”; gifts from relatives & friends who want to shower them with things…
After making these two lists, calculate how much money you still need left over in order to save up enough funds so that whatever happens will not cause financial stress later on down when bills start rolling in faster than ever before! This is where being organized helps immensely because now at least we know what needs doing first: planning out our future finances so they’re no longer just abstract concepts but rather tangible goals which can be accomplished through careful budgeting decisions made every day.”
Create a Savings Plan
To create a savings plan you will need to:
- Set a savings goal. This is the amount that you want to save in total, over time. It could be as small as $500 or as high as $5 million.
- Set up a savings plan for how you are going to achieve your goal. Set aside enough money each month so that by the end of it all, your savings account will be full and ready for whatever comes next (whether it’s college tuition payments or retirement).
- Decide on how long it will take before reaching your goal—anywhere from one year to 40 years!
Take Advantage of Freebies
As you are probably aware, there are a number of freebies available to new parents. If you don’t know where to look, here are some tips:
- Take advantage of freebies in your area. There are likely several organizations in your community that offer vouchers or discounts for new parents. For example, the March of Dimes has partnered with companies like Babies R Us and Toys R Us to provide exclusive discounts on select products.
- Take advantage of freebies for families with kids aged zero through six years old. These deals come from corporations such as Waffle House and McDonald’s who want nothing more than for your children—and you—to have a happy meal experience!
- Look out for other deals on items like clothing or diapers too! Your baby doesn’t need designer clothes but if someone gives them away at no cost then why not take advantage?
Save money when you have kids!
- Buy clothes second-hand. It’s a great way to save money, and you can find some really cute stuff!
- Buy at the right time of year. Winter clothes are usually cheaper during autumn, while summer clothing is cheaper in spring.
- Buy in bulk if it’s something you use frequently (like baby food), but only if you need a lot of it. Buying big tubs of baby food will save you money, but they also take up space that could be used for more important things like more diapers or bottles (or maybe just more room for yourself).
So, now you know some of the best money saving tips for new parents. The key is to get started right away and make a plan that works for your family. If you have any questions about how to save money with kids, feel free to contact us!
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.